Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Choosing to Follow Jesus

Yesterday I taught my 5-7yr old Sunday school class for the last time, due to a sad mix of circumstances, the chief one being I have to work nearly ever other Sunday. And even though teaching children has always been quite frustrating and challenging for me, I think that I will miss them. They’re at an age where they can read and take care of themselves most of the time, but the curiousity and enthusiasm has not quite been hammered out of them by scholastic methods. They’re open to playing games, drawing, discussions and colouring/craft activities (one of my favourite ways to speed up the class time) and they’re not yet at an age where they think most things are boring and not worth their time.

Our lesson was about the pre-earth life and the council in heaven. Some of the kids were really onto it and already knew everything, and others stared at me blankly when I asked them where we lived before we came to earth. My sister has of late been researching nearly everything she can find on NDE’s or near death experiences, whereas I find PBE’s (Prebirth experiences) much more intriguing. People who remember events from before they were born, people who see or communicate with their future children, “announcing dreams” where spirits come to tell their parents they’re ready to come down. I have my own PBE, but I don’t feel comfortable sharing it with strangers like the world wide web.

Science says, for every reaction there is an opposite and equal reaction. In physics they told us that when we jump, the earth moves. But in proportion to our mass and the earths mass we don’t have much of an impact.

The scriptures say that there must be opposition in all things. Good vs bad and so on and so forth. And now that I think about it, I wonder what other Christians have come up with for the obscure references to falling from grace mentioned for Lucifer in the bible (Job 38:4-7 and Isaiah 14:12-15) or even obscure references to a pre-earth life such as in the first chapter of Jeremiah.

I read a book once about the adversary. Kind of freaked me out a bit. It said fighting against the agents of evil is like fighting blindfolded with your hands behind your back. They can see you but you can’t see them, and they know you at least as well as you know yourself. It said the better you know your enemy & his tricks the better off you’ll be.

When I was teaching at the missionary training centre I had this Tahitian girl come into my class, she was different from a lot of the ones I taught. Very connected spiritually. But she came to me because she’d had an unusual number of “things that go bump in the night” stories while she was in the dorms. Toilets flushing when nobody was there, sounds of a woman crying, things being moved. Probably it happened on a regular basis but that was the first time I’d heard about it. I told her one or two methods of counteraction she could use. I’ve never been fully spooked out like she was, but I have had a few creepy instances in my life. I have to keep reminding myself that spirits can’t hurt me.

And I have had a few instances in my life where I prayed for help and it came straightaway. Even though I think I’ve gone downhill spiritually in the last year, and I don’t know what I’m going to do now that I don’t have my kids to keep my focus on the gospel, I still think trying to follow Jesus is the best thing I can do in my life right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment