Friday, November 28, 2008

Feelings

My uncle, who passed away this year, gave me a sage piece of advice once, regarding journal writing, which I assume can also be applied to blog writing. If you want your diaries to be truly memorable for the future, write about your feelings. Talk about how you felt today and the events will simply be the garnish. If you do that you will find that the Spirit will begin to communicate itself through the power of the written word. Although its hard to capture certain feelings in words, and more particularly to convey the strength or lack thereof of certain emotions, I will therefore attempt only to label the emotions I felt and not go into any depth on them. English is the best technical language on the planet, having the greatest vocabulary of any language on earth, but its not the best at conveying emotions. Roman languages such as spanish and french, have devoted a whole new tense to describing feelings. Its called the subjunctive and barely features in english, but I don't need to go into that now. 1) Working at an election day polling booth Stressed, Exuberant, Engrossed, Busy, Pleased, Miffed, Overfed, Disappointed 2) My best friends baby shower Redundant, alone, happy for her, bystander 3) My flatmate announcing she was moving out (the day I moved in) Shocked, alarmed, anxious, burdened (looking for someone else) 4) Getting an out of the blue email from an old flame the day after I had a dream about him Flabbergasted, wary, surprised, weirded-out, Curious, "What the hell!?" depressed, teary-eyed, sad, nostalgic, grateful that I've moved on 5) Writing during Nanowrimo Frustrated, agonized, mentally challenged, deranged, hopeful, enthusiastic, pleased, challenged, connected to my inner self - serene, peaceful, "In the flow" 6) Finishing training, starting my new job, customer services Tired, pressured, insulted, offended, ignorant, delighted, unsure, harangued, joyful, playful, adventurous 7) My flatmate offering/trying to set me up on blind dates Consternation, Resignation, rejected, grateful, naive, sad 8) Winning Nano! Elated, grateful, exulted, overjoyed... for about 5 minutes until I checked my emails (See #4) 9) My Work Christmas Party Alone, overfed 10) Being abused by a crazy Auckland driver Annoyed, vengeful, fearful, resentful of his idiocy, "Freakin idiot!" (Vengeance filled daydreams soothe my feelings hehe)

No comments:

Post a Comment