Monday, September 7, 2009

Goat Island

My friend Hollie is visiting me this week from australia, well she's working here as well. Today we went up to Goat island and she convinced me to go snorkeling for the first time ever. Goat Island is a beautiful protected marine reserve full of fish of all kinds, sea life and sting rays. Luckily we didn't see any sting rays. I also got to wear a wetsuit for the first time, that was an experience in and of itself.

We headed out into the water following some advice from divers who were just coming in from the water, swam around looking at all the fish. Saw a mangled penguin lying at the bottom of the ocean, a guy in a kayak offered to show us where some crayfish were. We followed him but since he said they were well under a rock we opted to not try and see them.

On our way back in we were on the lookout for sting rays, but Im quite glad we didn't encounter any, as I really think I would have panicked, thinking of Steven Irwins untimely death.

There were a lot of jellyfish in the water, I got a big fright the first time i looked up and there was one right by my head almost in my hair. There were a lot of purple and clear veined ones on the way back into the beach. By the time i got there my ankles and calves were so sore from using the flippers, i was relieved to get back on land.


Beautiful weather, and a novel experience, what more could you want?

No comments:

Post a Comment