Thursday, August 5, 2010

Gut Instinct

I've been reading a very intriguing book this week by a french man, Pierre Pallardy about ones abdomen being a vital tool for preventing various health issues, being the "epicentre of life."

Apparently he intuitively suspected what research has now confirmed - there is an independent nerve mass in the gut which helps regulate your system, produces immune cells, molecular neurotransmitters and interstitial cells, just like the upper brain.

He attributes all kinds of ailments back to a malfunctioning abdomen - fatigue, digestive problems, IBS, insomnia, headaches, diabetes and ageing.

A persons two brains need to work in unison, or chaos in the gut and upset in the mind will occur. Theres some sort of interconnectivity between the two, via the vagus nerve, and emotional disrupts can sever the link they have. Which goes a long way to explaining why lots of emotions such as stress and anxiety can be felt first in the gut. A number of health workers have told me that my digestion/liver are not working efficiently, so the book was like a godsend for me.

His recommendations were quite simple, and i'd heard most of them before:
- deep abdominal breathing, getting oxygen into the gut to aerate and massage the intestinal organs
- eating slowly in a peaceful environment
- exercising at a moderate pace to improve the mind-stomach connection
- abdominal massage and locating tension in that area
- being tuned in to your body

A couple of weeks ago my chiropractor told me my vitality was low due to an emotional component (anger and hate). I'm going to try what Pierre says and see if it makes a difference to my current state of wellbeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment