Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Fiordland

Ata Whenua - Shadowlands

Tonight I watched an amazing documentary film at the Fiordland cinema. If I had the money I would have bought a copy on DVD to send home so everyone could enjoy it. Just scenery from all over Fiordland, mostly taken from helicopters or boats, views and closeups of waterfalls, mountains that peek out over the top of clouds with the dawn breaking on the edge of the clouds, waves smashing the sea, stone arches and natural rock bridges (that look like they're going to collapse into the sea) it was amazing. Half an hour of scenery, trees, forests, closeups of native flora and fauna, kea and kaka.

I am so looking forward to my trip tomorrow and seeing more of what there is to see. I'm quite sad that the Sutherland Falls side track is closed - apparently you can still see the falls but you can't go to it, due to a massive rock slide a few months ago, as well as a big rock thats still poised over the track waiting to fall on top of unwary (and stupid) travellers.

The weather forecast is looking sort of ok, but its hard to tell when they describe the weather for Queenstown and Te Anau, coz the Milford track is apparently 4 seasons in one day. I'm hoping that if it does rain, its just a light drizzle that comes and goes quickly. But I wouldn't mind it bucketing down after lunchtime on Sunday, coz I would love to see Milford Sound awash with waterfalls.

No comments:

Post a Comment