Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Milford Track

I arrived in Queenstown on Monday with a sore back not sure why. Yesterday I went sightseeing around the lake and did some last minute shopping. Today I caught the bus to Te Anau, a beautiful little town next to an awesome lake and also the jump off point for both the Kepler track and the Milford track. THE MILFORD TRACK!!! I am so excited tomorrow I'm starting THE MILFORD TRACK!!! I've been looking forward to it for ages.

53kms of stunning scenery over 4 days, waterfalls, mountains, valleys, streams, greenery all kinds of amazement. I am so so so looking forward to it, the walking and the photos and especially the waterfalls. I don't know what else to say, I'm just really happy right now. I get my bus in the morning and then a 1hr boat ride on the lake to the start of the walk, the first day is 5kms which is quite sweet actually. The second day is about 16kms which starts off flat and then gradually climbs with a steep bit at the end. The 3rd day is 14kms you go up 11 switchbacks (which I think are like zigzags) 400m to Mckinnon pass and up past it to the top, then you come down 900m on the other side (I've been told to be careful of my knees at that point) then the last day is 18kms of mostly flat, lots of waterfalls, and Bell rock which I've been told to look out for, I don't know why but I guess I'll find out.

Then I get a boat at the end to Milford Sound then a bus back to Queenstown that night. I'm so happy and so looking forward to tomorrow! (Like a little kid on Christmas eve waiting for Santa to come hehe). Yay!!

No comments:

Post a Comment