Thursday, February 19, 2009

Jane Eyre

This year I have decided to start on a book list that may yet kill me, the Eaton Press Top 100 books of all time. Among them many titles I have heard of but never perused let along read, including Moby Dick and Don Quixote. Happily, many of these books can be found for free on the Project Gutenberg website, bringing books whose copyright has expired to the masses, just as the printing press took the bible to the masses. My first one to tackle was Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte. I always used to think it was a tragedy but was surprised to discover it had a happy ending. I like happy endings, I find them very satisfying. I also like the fact that Jane ended up having a much better life than her childhood tormentors. I like to think that I will end up with a better life than those who made my life as a child miserable. Not that that should be my motivation in deciding what i want for myself in the future. Next novel will probably be Huckleberry Finn. Since I enjoyed the movie so much. Fear not though, I'm not about to do 100 posts on classic novels, maybe just my favourites and possibly the ones i like least.

No comments:

Post a Comment