Monday, December 28, 2009

The Light of Example

Christmas has come and gone, busy but happy time of being together at the end of a long year. I sneaked home in between two long shifts, taking the back road which is now my preferred means of travel, from auckland at least, went viewing christmas house lights on christmas eve, had lunch with the family and headed back for work that night.

Yesterdays sunday school class with my 6-8yr olds was about good examples. Being helpful, kind and obedient to those around us. Made me think of my sisters christmas tradition of giving. Every year they put together a big christmas food hamper and ponder on who it should be given to.

Last year they gave it to a homeless man camped out on a vacant lot in frankton which lead to him being reunited with some of his kids who had no idea where he had vanished to.

This year my sister had someone in mind, a single mother, who she had seen around but didn't really know her too well. Since i was over visiting, she decided i should be the one to hand it over, as the lady wouldn't recognize me. I was really nervous on the way over there, i don't know why, remnants of childhood stranger danger perhaps?

I went and knocked on the door and a tired looking middle aged woman with a bewildered expression on her face answered. "Is this the *** family?" i asked her. She frowned. "Yes."
"Ok i was asked to deliver something for you for christmas."
Then i went back to the car to get it for her.
Her eyes widened as I reapproached her. "This is for you." (afterthought, "Merry Christmas!")
"Woah... Thank you" she said. She looked stunned and nearly speechless. I felt kind of uncomfortable, since i was getting thanks for something i didn't deserve credit for. "Merry christmas" was all i could think of to say. Then i hurried back to the car.

I felt quite good even though i had nothing to do with the idea or the execution of the christmas gift, but it made me want to follow their example, and do something good for someone next christmas, or maybe even throughout the year. Just like the lights of christmas draw people to see them, so do peoples good examples around me draw me to want to follow them too. Thank you Jesus, for sending angels to earth to remind me of what you would do if you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment