Friday, April 2, 2010

My favourite poem #2

When I was in intermediate school one of my friends memorized the whole of the poem "The Highwayman" by Alfred Noyes. She would just quote it off the top of her head. My response to that was a much more pitiful attempt to memorize "The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe. I don't think i ever got to the end. But i liked the way the first few verses felt in my mouth. And i doubt i'll remember it after so long and probably butcher it but heres what I remember of it:

Once upon a midnight dreary while I wandered weak and weary
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore
While i nodded nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping
As of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door
Tis some visitor i muttered tapping at my chamber door
This it is and nothing more

Ah distinctly i remember as it was in bleak december and each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor
Eagerly i wished the morrow vainly i had sought to borrow
From my books surcease of sorrow sorrow for the lost lenore
For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels named lenore
Nameless here forevermore

And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain
Thrilled me filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before
So that now to still the beating of my heart i stood entreating
Tis some visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door
Some late visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door
This it is and nothing more

Well thats all I remember. Not much, but not bad for 16yrs ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment