Thursday, April 8, 2010

My favourite poem #3

I had a magic moment just before my mission started several years ago. I was staying with a family in Bountiful, Utah who an old teacher linked me up with, and the Mum & I had just done a temple session in the Salt Lake temple. Then her dad, who was also with us took me on a mini tour through a few of the rooms and introduced me to one of his friends, all i can remember is that he was an elderly man. When he found out i was a kiwi going to Switzerland he started reciting a poem. It felt like i was in a dream, i was so caught up in the words. Several months later my mother sent me a poem that a recently returned missionary in our ward had quoted - and lo and behold, it was the same poem.

To some there comes a call to love a people
A nation, land or race thats not their own
The pages of two calenders will measure, the lives they've touched
and if they've really grown

And more than one has come and gone unnoticed
They find it hard to love a strangers land
They somehow lost the vision they arrived with,
when others built on rock they built on sand

But those who learned to give then keep on giving
And take their worsts and turn it into bests
are those who've learnt that lifes most sacred treasures
Are won by those who've learnt to serve the rest

If you've been called, you'd better know the reason
Without that knowledge, your time is useless there
The Master knows the answers and the questions
He'll help you, but the cross is yours to bear

To some there comes a call to love a people
A nation, land or race thats not their own
and when its done with eyes of tears they'll tell you
This nations mine, this lands become my home

No comments:

Post a Comment