Monday, July 26, 2010

Believing or not

A couple of weeks ago at work, I was reading one of the newspapers that happened to be in the staff room, and came across the horoscopes, which I don’t always read, but I decided to have a look at mine on this occasion and one thing jumped out at me. Something along the lines of “one of your projects will receive a much needed boost this week.” Which surprised and intrigued me, and I was immediately thinking ahead to what it could be. My main project that I’ve been devoting time to lately is the book that I’m writing about one branch of my ancestors.

Even though I don’t believe in horoscopes, sometimes I read them retrospectively and they have come true. But then that could easily be a matter of subconsciously filtering out anything that didn’t apply.

Fast forward a few days, and my Mum texts me that great aunt Dulcie has passed away and her funeral is the next day. Great aunt Dulcie, who I’ve only met one time last year, was 97yrs old and the last of her generation in the family. She was my great grandfathers first cousin, he died in 1962, so she pretty much outlasted everybody. I think it would suck to outlast all my own generation, but good on her.

I wanted to go to the funeral, which was in Tauranga, but not by myself, so after much disgruntled back and forth it was finally arranged that me, my Mum and aunty would all go to the funeral together.

Even though I felt sad for her nephews and nieces and grandkids that genuinely really missed her, she had had a full and great life and obviously it was her time to go. She was a nurse in WWII and worked as a midwife in China, and lived in several different parts of the world including Norfolk Island where she retired, before moving back to NZ and getting married (twice). At the funeral I met several members of the family who are all working separately on the family tree, exchanged contact details, it was great.

Then we decided to drive out to see my grandma’s sister, and talk to her. It was so good seeing her, she told us stories about her and her parents and the family and I showed her some of the things I’d put together for the book. So my horoscope was right, I did receive a help towards my project. But a one off correct statement in there does not mean that they’ll get it right every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment