Wednesday, July 28, 2010

In the eyes of a child

A few days ago I went with my sister, brother in law and nephew to the Miniature Train rides, which operate once a week in Hamilton. Staffed by volunteers, they operate rides around a small park complete with bridges and ponds, with varying size miniature trains – including one that operates on steam.

We took a picnic lunch with us, sat around and chatted and watched the trains going past. My nephew was so engrossed in the sight of the trains rolling past he kept being distracted from his food and having to be cajoled by his parents to eat some more.

After lunch we all hopped on board the train for our first ride, our tickets were clipped and we were off. Its been so long since I was on a little train, I can barely remember what it was like – I remember going on a miniature train when I was a kid around Hamilton Lake, I think it used to operate every summer until it eventually got closed down.

My nephew loves trains. It was so great just seeing his face after he got off, looking so happy and alive and excited. And it reminded me how great it is going with someone to see something for the first time.

When you go sightseeing with a child, and they’re seeing something for the first time, so enthusiastic and open to everything they’re experiencing, and you get to have fun along with them. If I were to contrast that to the way that jaded cynics behave – immune to magic though its right there around them, really that’s not the best way to live life.

Theres a Creed song I really like, its the only song of theirs I know, called “With arms wide open” and its about how the singer wants his son to have an open heart, to enjoy all his experiences in life, and greet the world with open arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment