Friday, August 14, 2009

Family History

I'm trying to put together a nice little booklet about some of my family tree. The descendants of Eleanor and Henry Hoyte, my 3rd great grandparents, or something along those lines. I emailed a lady with the same last name yesterday and she forwareded my email to someone who emailed me back. He's the oldest son of Charles, the oldest sons eldest son. I'm hoping he has the family bible, or at least would know where it is.

Then I wrote a letter to probably the last living descendants of Henry and Eleanors youngest son. He was the only one born in NZ and was the youngest of the family by 10yrs. (My 3rd great grandma, Mary Ella is the youngest daughter). He got married and had 4 children, but only one of those children had kids of their own.

On monday I found out that the oldest son Charles still has a daughter living. I was quite surprised as I assumed she had already died. We hadn't been able to find her because she remarried sometime after her first husband passed away in 1981. I found her new name on her brothers obituarity notice in the newspaper, looked her up in last years electoral roll, found her phone number and gave her a call. Shes 96 years old. She was very deaf, but very cute. And she told me I can come visit her.
She lives in Tauranga, but my grandma's two sisters live there as well, so Mum and I are planning to go over there as soon as we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment