Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Conference talks

I didn't get to see General conference at the time it was shown, but i watched a couple of the talks in hindsight, and one story jumped out at me.

I can't even remember who's talk it was but it hit me. He said every day the father who was a priest or something similar, would ask the children at the dinner table, "What did you do for someone today?"

Their reporting initially took the form of trying to outdo each other in competitive childlike fashion, but as they grew older, the desire to serve others really did grow in each of them.

I thought of that yesterday at work. A person can be motivated by duty or outward pressures, eg I have to do this because my boss is watching me, or an inward motivation or desire, eg I want to do this. Going the extra mile is not something i usually think of doing, but the talk must have got to me, because I found myself making more effort to do what I could for my passengers.

It was only a small thing, but it felt like a glimmer of light into a dark space. I don't know why I've been so depressed for the past few weeks but it hasn't been a good time at all. Maybe if i look out more for others and forget myself in the service of others, my heart will be lighter and the black shadows in my mind will recede.

No comments:

Post a Comment