Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Palace of Versailles

Today we spent pretty much the whole day at Versailles Chateau & gardens about 25 mins by train out of the city. It was beautiful! So much opulence, gold and obvious wealth spent here. The hall of mirrors was particularly fabulous, I remember learning about it when I studied french at high school and thinking, one day I'm going to go there. We went through the Chateau first, its now a museum, with sculptures, art work, tapestries and the restored King and Queens apartments/bedrooms. Apparently whole new industries were created to decorate and furnish the Palace when it was originally built.

We then got the Petit-Train down to the Grand Trianon and Petit Trianon which were the King & Queens secondary homes - much smaller and simpler than the Chateau, but both lovely. My favorite thing though, was the Queens hamlet, a cute little village built around a lake, it was quite medieval looking, it made me think of Hobbiton only not built into hills. It had a mill, a farm and a lighthouse (of all things!?). The farm had goats, rabbits, peacocks, chickens and donkeys, it was great. By the time we got back from there to the chateau it was mid afternoon and we were a bit too tired to go exploring all the gardens - we did have a quick look at the nearest ones though, then got the train back home.

In the train on the way home I saw an ad about Oceania with a tiki pendant. I didn't see exactly what it was for - maybe an exhibition of some sort, but it reminded me of home and made me feel all warm and cozy inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment