Sunday, May 17, 2015

The sometimes suckiness of travel

Well today has been a massively up and down day. It started off great with breakfast being delivered to our room, after which i went out exploring & reminiscing & trying to recognize different places I had been to before. I walked along 'au bord du lac' along the lake front to see the giant flower clock (the numbers are made of flowers but with metal hands that work), a lovely fountain and to see the jet d'eau, the huge 100m high fountain of water in the lake - it wasnt going initially, but it did later. I also went up into the old town again because i wanted to climb up the cathedrale but it wasn't open yet and i couldn't stay because we had to check out of our hotel.

It was actually a beautiful morning and day - it started off overcast but then the sun came out and we had blue skies and it was lovely. We left our bags at the hotel for the day and went walking then got the little 'mouettes' boat ferries that take you from side to side across the lake, walked around the botanic gardens then headed off to the hostel... only to find out that our room for the night had been inexplicably cancelled. We had made 2 separate bookings for 2 nights (because of mixed up train arrangements) and then I emailed them last week to ask if we could be put in the same female 6 bed dorm for both nights, so that we didn't have to move in between. So sometime in between then and today someone cancelled our reservation, it wasn't us and the hostel seemed to have no idea who had done it. They had groups of cyclists all arriving in the time we were standing there discussing what to do and the lady said she could put us in a mixed 8 bed dorm (with all the smelly cyclists ew gross) but that we would have to decide then and there because it could fill up any minute (and then we would be left with nowhere to stay). I was having a bit of a panic attack because we'd already forked out heaps the night before for a hotel, which we had booked 12 hrs before 2 different families that I knew when I lived there had offered me a couch to sleep on, and I didn't want to be in the position where we had to pay that amount or more again.

Luckily the lady offered to call the other City Hostel and found out they had a spare private room for 2, which means they must have had a cancellation lucky for us, because there were no rooms available when I looked at that hostel on the internet a couple of weeks ago. So we said we'd take it - still outside of our budget - but better than nothing - I was feeling so worked up about it for ages, walking around feeling angry and yuck and horrible. I felt bad to be feeling that way because I actually really love Geneva, last night I was on such a high catching up with people I had known before who made me feel so welcome and loved, and fed me raclette (RACLETTE!!) this amazing swiss dish that I LOVE. I nearly fell over when they announced what we were having for dinner because that was the thing I most wanted when I came here - but I knew I couldn't get it by myself because you need a special oven to cook it in, I was so happy.

Anyway, since then I have calmed down & went shopping and sedated my mood with a lovely magnum type chocolate ice cream, because as my missionary companion told me when we were here together in Geneva 13 yrs ago, there is no problem so great that a magnum wont make you feel much better - and its true! because I do. Lol

Tomorrow I go to see all my old friends at church. I don't want to expect that they will remember me, because 12 yrs is a long time, but I remember them, and I'm sure it will do good to my heart to see how thez are all doing again. Then Monday we are off to Paris! We haven't yet found a place to stay but we are currently having a good look on airbnb. And for some reason this computer kezboard is not a qwerty kezboard, thez have swapped the y and the z, its verz mixed up lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment