Sunday, October 5, 2008

Fiction vs Non fiction

There is a duality in nature – light vs dark, male female, mind heart, logic emotion, rationality vs creativity. My view is that non-fiction generally is tailored to the mind, whereas fiction is generally tailored to the heart. Some people are more “thinkers” and some are more “emotionally-oriented” (I would use the word “feelers” but some people have bad connotations of that word). In order to enjoy fiction, I think one needs to connect with ones emotional side and temporarily disconnect ones brain. While reading fiction the best part for me is creating mental images of how things ought to be - envisioning things how you want them to be regardless of what the author originally intended, its like magic. For myself, I love fiction & use it as an escape. I like fantasy-sci fi or books that evoke memories, emotions & ideas. When I was young the make believe worlds I read about had a much stronger pull on me than the harsh realities of life. They say when you read something as a child it becomes a part of you as an adult (You've got mail, Meg Ryan's character) I have only recently begun to enjoy non fiction. I avoided it ever since I was about 10, it just held little or no appeal for me. I usually only subscribe to books that are recommended to me by trusted friends and usually only along certain lines. For example at the moment, health, wellbeing, some history & I have recently become more interested in psychology and human development books, since I started meeting with a counsellor, its been quite enlightening.

No comments:

Post a Comment