Thursday, March 18, 2010

Rethink

Sometimes you repeat an experience that you've had before, or go somewhere you've already been, only to find that the whole thing is completely different. Not so much that the place or thing has changed, but the observer, and therefore all the reactions and emotions are different.

One year ago, i spent two weeks in queensland. It was not fun. Well, some parts were fun, but others were not. I had a weird freakish infection on my foot, which meant that not only could i NOT swim, i was not allowed near salt water, and i could barely walk. I spent the better part of two weeks limping around.

Also with my two young family members in tow, we could not go anywhere without alot of bickering. It didn't take long for me to feel very sorry for their mother. Dealing with them for 2wks is nothing like dealing with them all the time.

We shopped alot. It seems like a big thing to do on the gold coast. At first i thought it was crazy we never went to the beach, and we had a pool at the place we were staying. That was until this year, when i met the jellyfish.

This year has been completely different. Solo adventuring is a great thing. You can go where you want, when you want with nobody making demands on your time. And since you're on holiday, you can feel free to do nothing on a regular basis.

Same place, same person, same balmy temperatures, completely different holiday. Today i went on a ferris wheel. Stunning 360 degree views. I haven't been on one since i was a kid, or maybe i've never been on one and just imagined i had. I hope i'm not mixing reality and dreams again.

I went out west and hung out with my Uncles wife and also met up with this guy whos my very distant cousin. My 4th great grandfather is his great grandfather. He had like 20 years research, family trees, information and a book of family letters and a lot of stories to tell. I feel so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment