Saturday, April 18, 2009

Ideas vs Action

"Vision without action is merely a dream, action without vision just passes the time, action with vision can change the world."

So I think that some people come up with ideas, others carry out ideas and very very few have the capacity to do both. For myself, I regard myself as an ideas person, but not particularly action oriented. This started back when I was a baby. Mum would take turns sitting us in a little walker. My sister would immediately start propelling herself backwards, never forwards, only ever in the one direction. Whereas when placed in the same walker, I would sit there, look around and not even try to budge. According to my mother, i was busy pondering the fate of the universe, but I'm not so sure. I could just as easily have been thinking of nothing. I had a blank enough look on my face (as evidenced by the home videos they took at that time.)

At primary school, I would always think of things to do, and everyone else would do them, then I would join in, I was never a leader-type, more a follower, as people who are not action-orientated tend to be. We had great fun at home, my two siblings and I, being close in age. One of us would come up with something to do, and we would all launch ourselves wholeheartedly into it. My favourite was sliding down the staircase on mattresses. I was often the most reluctant of us to try new things, but I always enjoyed new experiences once I had been coaxed into it.

However, looking back at how I was then and how I am now, (and to think that when I was 18 I thought I knew it all!) I think that the point of this life is for each of us to learn different lessons, and become more balanced in the areas where we're lacking. I feel that its important for me to become more proactive and action orientated, in order to develop into the person that I need to be in the life to come. I just haven't quite figured out where to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment