Friday, April 10, 2009

If i weren't a twin, who would I be?

Sometimes I like to engage in such pointless mental excursions as wondering what my life would be like if a certain thing had or hadn't happened, - would my parents have met if my Mum's parents hadn't converted to the mormon church and moved to Hamilton so she could go to CCNZ? What if my dad hadn't been taken in and later adopted by his aunty who was living in Hamilton instead of growing up in Tauranga with the rest of his siblings? Would he still be my dad? If he hadn't become my dad would I still be me, the way I am today? or someone completely different? Today is my sisters 9th wedding anniversary, Congrats to her, and him as well. When they first got married I didn't get along very well with my brother in law, sad to say, I regarded him as a thief who had taken my sister away from me. Since we were both together since childhood, I had a childish view of her being MINE, a possession, rather than her own individual person. If I wasn't a twin, what position would I hold in my family? Rather than the 2nd of 3, would I be an only child? a middle child with an older sister and younger brother? the older child with a younger sibling? It was a great convenience and solace having a ready made playmate growing up, though I do vaguely recall arguing a lot about nothing when we had to share a room. According to Mum I had no interest in walking as a baby, I was content to stay where I was and look around me, she claims it was only because I was trying to catch up to my sister that I got moving when I did. We had our own language as babies - my parents would try to repeat what we'd said and we would look at them like they were crazy. She often bore the brunt of bad things that would happen growing up, acting as a shield to her siblings. She made me speak for her in public settings when we were growing up - I think I would be a lot more introverted without her. I have a natural tendency to be absentminded & growing up, would often live in my own world, completely unaware of the existence of others - so its good that i had someone in my face most of the time that taught me to pay attention. I think that I would be a lot different without her, although I have no idea what I would be like.

No comments:

Post a Comment